Why is my 144Hz monitor running at 60Hz? The refresh rate of a monitor refers to the number of times per second that the display is updated with new images. In the case of a 144Hz monitor, this means that the display is refreshed 144 times per second. A higher refresh rate can provide a smoother and more responsive gaming experience, as it reduces the amount of time that the image is displayed on the screen and minimizes the appearance of motion blur.
However, if your 144Hz monitor is running at 60Hz, it means that the display is only being refreshed 60 times per second, which can lead to a less smooth and less responsive gaming experience. This can be frustrating, especially if you have invested in a high-refresh rate monitor specifically for the purpose of improving your gaming experience. In this article, we will explore the possible causes of a 144Hz monitor running at 60Hz and provide some troubleshooting steps to help you resolve the issue.
Check the Monitor
The first thing that you have to check if the monitor that you have has a refresh rate of 144Hz. If you have reviewed and the answer is yes, Windows will use the 144Hz as its default settings. If not, then you may not be using the display port. You need to use a display port so that you can reach the144Hz refresh rate.
Has your problem been solved at this point? If your answer is still no, then you can continue reading.
Set Your Monitor to 144Hz
How to fix monitors to 144Hz Windows 10? It can be confusing in the beginning, but these are the steps that you have to take when you are using Windows 10:
1. Go to the settings option and choose “System.”
2. Look for the option that says “Display.” Click on it and look for “Advanced Display Settings.”
3. You will find “Display Adapter Properties” wherein the monitor tab can be found.
4. There will be a portion wherein you can choose the Screen Refresh Rate. Make sure that you will select 144Hz.
5. Just select “OK” and your refresh rate will already be higher.
What if you are not using Windows 10? The process will be a bit different, but you can still make changes to reach the settings that you want.
1. Go to the desktop and right−click on the screen.
2. There will be various options that will be displayed, so choose “Screen Resolution.”
3. Look for “Advanced Settings.”
5. Go to the Monitor tab.
6. Choose 144Hz from the various options and click on “OK.”
At this point, you may be asking why the 144Hz monitor won’t go past 60Hz? This might be caused by the lack of using a DVI−D port. If you do not have this, then the option to make the refresh rate higher will not be available. If the 144Hz option not showing, then this may be the reason.
Your Problem is Not yet Fixed
You have reached this part, and there is a possibility that your problem. What are you supposed to do then? One thing that you should do is to check if all of the cables are correctly connected. Even if the cables are properly connected, you can plug and unplug to be sure.
These are some of the other possible reasons for your current issue:
- Your graphics driver has not been updated yet.
- The game that you are using comes with its graphic settings. If this is the case, then you need to update the settings manually to make sure that it will work.
- The GPU cannot keep up. If your graphics are already old, this will not be able to support the 144Hz refresh rate.
- The monitor is being used at a lower resolution. You need to pick your monitor’s usual settings, which means that this is the setting of the monitor when you first purchased it. If you would attempt to use it at lower resolutions, its capacity will only be up to 60Hz.
Your Cable Matters
It is earlier than you need to check if your cable is properly connected. Aside from this, you need to know if the cable can support the high refresh rate. If you are using an old cable, do not expect that it can be used for high refresh rates. Most old cables will be able to handle up to a refresh rate of 60Hz, which means that this will be the limit.
Another thing that you can consider is the quality of the cables that you are using. You may get some cables that will supposedly help you improve the refresh rate of your monitor, but if the cable is not too good, your refresh rate still will not reach its full capacity.
If you are confused about the right cables to use, you can choose the cable that came with your monitor when you purchased it. This does not always work, but if there are some improvements, your cable may be the culprit why your monitor is not reaching the full refresh rates.
Some people feel that the main reason why they cannot use the full capacity of their monitor is they do not have complete control of the available updates. You can delay the Windows update so that you can slowly update what you think would need to be updated soon while keeping some things as they are for the meantime.
You can always postpone the update by choosing the correct date and time when you would like the update to take place. This is the process to follow:
- Go to “Settings.”
- Find “Update and Security.”
- Click “Windows Update.”
- Click on “Schedule to Restart.”
This method will allow you to delay the update for up to seven days. This will give you enough time to fix the settings of your computer in general so that you can maintain the refresh rate of your monitor and so much more.
Hopefully, now that you have reached the end of the article, you have already gained a solution on how you can make your 144Hz monitor reach its full capacity.
Best 144hz Gaming Monitor
Finding the right 144Hz gaming monitor can be a bit challenging but these are the top three products that we feel will work best for your needs.
Samsung C27HG70 27″ HDR QLED 144Hz
- Quantum dot
- 1 billion color support
- QHD resolution. Color Support 1.07B. Color Gamut (NTSC 1976) Typ 88 percent, Min 84 percent. Quantum Dot Color(Nano Crystal). Color Mode Custom/High Brightness/FPS/RTS/RPG/AOS/sRGB/Cinema
- Refresh rate 144Hz;Response time 1M/s; Power: AC 100~240V
- Product Dimensions With Stand:24.60 x 21.92 x 15.38 inches,Product Dimensions Without Stand:24.60 x 14.46 x 3.67 inches
- Audio In (3.5mm): Yes ; Headphones: Yes
There are different gaming monitors that you can find but you have to admit that this gaming monitor looks special. This makes use of Quantum Dot Technology that will make sure that your experience in gaming will surely change. Get to know more about this monitor now.
This gaming monitor makes use of HDR or High Dynamic Range that will make sure that the dark and bright areas will be easier to see. This means that you will be able to see more amazing details especially when you are playing your favorite games. This also makes use of the ADM Radeon FreeSync Technology that will make sure that the gaming experience of people will change considerably. There will be fewer distortions that are available.
Dell Gaming Monitor S2417DG YNY1D 24
- Get stunning clarity with QHD resolution - that's close to 2 times more screen details than Full HD
- Enhance your visual experience with optimal preset modes tailored to suit your gaming genre
- Optimize eye comfort with a flicker-free screen.Response Time:1ms. Contrast ratio: 1000: 1 (typical)
- Get a replacement monitor shipped to you the next business day with Dell's 3 years Advanced Exchange Service.Input connectors-HDMI, Displayport
- Refer user manual below. Compatibility- All Operating System. Dimensions (WxDxH) - with stand Height Compressed - 363.9 mm (14.33 inches) / 493.9 mm (19.44 inches). Width- 540.4 mm (21.28 inches). Depth- 180.0 mm (7.09 inches)
The QHD resolution is really something that you would like to have on a gaming monitor. Finding the right gaming monitor can be a bit complicated when you do not know what you are looking for but this particular gaming monitor may be the one that you need.
This gaming monitor comes with a user manual. You may not think that this is important but think about it. How will you be able to use a gaming monitor if you do not even know its simple controls? The user manual will provide you with all of the things that you want to know. The QHD resolution will provide the pixels that you want. Some even say that this is even better than full HD. They can see different graphics easily. You can also adjust this monitor depending on how comfortable you would like it to be for you. Expect that the flicker-free screen will allow you to have the type of monitor that you want.
VIOTEK SUW49C 49-Inch Super Ultrawide
- Massive Immersion — Surround yourself with a massive 49-inch super wide monitor curved for total immersion. See game scenes as you were meant to. Watch movies in its true cinematic glory. Sporting a 32:9 super-widescreen VA panel, the SUW49C is like having multiple full HD monitors side-by-side.
- Dynamic Color — Enjoy vibrant images with much greater detail. The SUW49C is one of the only super ultrawide gaming monitors with support for High Dynamic Range (HDR). Dark and light colors are rendered with mind-blowing detail and deep, enriched color.
- Multitasking Beast — A dual monitor setup without buying two monitors. Make use of the extra-large computer monitor screen with dual-input PIP/PBP functions. Two sources can be displayed on a single screen and controlled by a single keyboard or mouse. Any device with DisplayPort, 3.5 mm audio, or HDMI 2.0 or 1.4 ports can be connected.
- Advanced Gaming — Dominate the leaderboards with this freesync monitor. Activate GamePlus crosshairs for game-winning accuracy and score a direct hit every time. Multiple preset screen options and FPS/RTS optimization let you tailor the hdr monitor display settings to the needs of your game or video.
- Viotek Gold Standard Support — 100% U.S.-based customer service support, available 7 days a week. All new Viotek super ultrawide monitors are protected by a 3-Year Limited Warranty and our Zero-Tolerance Dead Pixel Policy. We don’t play with dead pixels — neither will you!
One of the things that this gaming monitor can promise is that it will offer monitors that will have the perfect pixels for gaming. If you are a gamer, this is something that you want for sure. The buyer protection period is quite generous especially when you would compare it with other brands that also offer gaming monitors. This comes with buyer protection of up to three years.
This 49” curved monitor is obviously large enough to be used for a wide variety of purposes. You will truly feel immersed in your games while you are using this. This is one of the first monitors that you can find in the market right now that provides High Dynamic Range which means that it will have clearer pictures. You can also expect that some of the elements that are associated with HDR will be evident whenever you use the screen. The colors are also very realistic. You may even begin to feel that you are seeing actual videos in person.
Why We Chose Those Monitors
There are obviously different monitors in the market but why have we decided to choose these three? These three monitors come with a lot of features that other monitors will not have. One obvious quality is they can offer great images that will take your gaming experience to a whole new level. You have all the right to get the best quality images whenever you play games or even when you are just viewing videos and images.
These monitors are also highly regarded by people who have already used them. The fact that people like them a lot means that you also have a higher chance of liking them. Another thing that we have noticed that is different from these gaming monitors is that they have better colors as compared to the usual gaming monitors that you can find. Their prices may be a little bit higher compared to the other gaming monitors in the market but they will still be worth it especially if you plan on using them for many years.
Is 144hz monitor is worth for gaming
If in case you do not understand yet, the refresh rate refers to the number of frames that can be displayed on the screen of your monitor in seconds. A lot of the monitors that you can find in the market right now will come with a refresh rate of 60Hz but those who would love to play games will come with a refresh rate of 144Hz.
Advantage of 144Hz Monitors
It is obvious that the more frames that can be displayed for every second, the smoother the images and videos that will be shown on screen. A lot of gamers would prefer high refresh rates, especially if the games that they play would require it. The refresh rate will become more obvious for some multiplayer games. The high-end monitors
Disadvantages of 144Hz Monitors
One of the things that you need to remember is that the price of a good 144Hz monitor will always be more expensive. You can find some gaming monitors that cost a lot less but they may not have the same picture quality that you would expect from a same-priced 60Hz gaming monitor.
TN panels are usually the most affordable variety of this type of monitor but the colors are going to be very poor. You may not even recognize some of the colors anymore because they look so washed out. If you want better colors and better viewing angles, you need to choose IPS panels but they are expected to be more expensive. If you know that you are going to use the monitors for a long time, they may still be worth it.
Another thing that you have to remember is that the high refresh rate will not have any advantage unless you can make some adjustments to your GPU. If you cannot adjust your GPU then you would get stuck with 60Hz frame rates even if the main capacity of the monitor is at 144Hz.
Should You Get 144Hz Monitors?
It will mainly depend on the things that you plan to do with it. What are the games that you plan to play with the use of the monitor? Multiplayer games may work better with a higher refresh rate but make sure that you have the appropriate GBU or your time, effort, and money will prove to be useless. Also, do not forget to make some adjustments too in order to improve the performance of the monitor.
A 144Hz monitor running at 60Hz can be a frustrating problem for gamers. There are a few possible causes of this issue, including an incompatible graphics card, incorrect or damaged cables, incorrect settings on the computer and monitor, and a laptop using integrated graphics. By following the troubleshooting steps outlined in this article, you can identify and address the root cause of the problem and get your monitor running at its full refresh rate.
Proper setup and maintenance are key to ensuring optimal gaming performance. By paying attention to the compatibility and power of your graphics card, the quality and connection of your cables, and the settings on your computer and monitor, you can ensure that you are getting the most out of your gaming setup. Taking the time to troubleshoot and resolve issues like a 144Hz monitor running at 60Hz can make a big difference in your gaming experience.
[su_note note_color=”#d7d7d7″ text_color=”#000000″ radius=”7″]As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. [/su_note]